138. From Infracheddar To Ultrableu
June 13th, 2022
1 hr 44 secs
About this Episode
Support Topic Lords on Patreon and get episodes a week early!
- Alexander plugs https://www.constantpodcast.com/
- Hosting a party is way better than going to a party
- The Pearl Jam Liner Notes method of writing first drafts
- Lagrange Point Lasagna
- Jonathan Swift, "Ode on the Longitude"
- The theory of spontaneous generation
- It turns out Sunday Roasts are a whole Deal
- Diagnose my tongue!
- Unfindable Lords.
- The Constant: a History of Getting Things Wrong.
- Continuous vs. discontinuous weighted blankets.
- People asking you about your life so you have to give them all the necessary context on your life so they'll understand.
- A masquerade ball where you receive a quest to find someone wearing a dog mask and talk to them about topology.
- The smallest of talk.
- A continuous unplanned unstructured talking with each other that you expect to just happen by itself.
- Bringing a cheeseboard to a party so you can go sort it whenever the conversation gets awkward
- Sorting the cheeseboard from sharp to mild and then sorting the cheese by color but nobody at the party is allowed to actually eat any.
- From Infracheddar to Ultrableu.
- A sorting algorithm gaining intelligence and trying to understand itself.
- Teaching your friends sign language so they'll be quieter at parties.
- The weirdness of reading aloud.
- Writing while talking.
- A species of alien that can follow two conversations at once.
- Balancing the complexity of your word choices so your sentence flows nicely.
- Writing the most important word of each sentence first and then going back and filling in the rest of the sentence.
- Worrying about commas later.
- Taking so long to implement the core of your idea that you've forgotten the details.
- How to bake brownies that are all edge pieces.
- How to bake brownies that's all center pieces.
- Sous vide brownies.
- People who only like the center of the falafel.
- The perfect solution for the person who prefers the grossest part of the brownie.
- Opening a portal to the lasagna dimension and scooping some out and feeling safe because there's no e. coli in the lasagna dimension, just lasagna.
- Tectonic plates in the lasagna dimension.
- Subduction lasagna.
- The asteroid equivalent of brownie soup.
- Forming trade alliances with the people who live in the air pockets of the lasagna dimension.
- Lasagna creationists.
- The Earth is a rock lasagna.
- Whether lasagna or baked ziti is more likely to be naturally occurring.
- Bepst and besht.
- A long-standing problem in navigation.
- Figuring out how to determine longitude in the Age of Navigation.
- Getting kicked out of Cambridge because you don't accept the Trinity.
- Firing a cannon at noon so everyone knows what time it is.
- Such explosive ships, in such known locations.
- A new method for discovering longitude both at sea and land, humbly proposed for the consideration of the public.
- The Jewish Space Lasers of the 1700s.
- The sense in which GPS is extremely loud.
- Putting a log on the fire and salamanders come out.
- The riddle where to understand the answer you have to know that bees come from lion carcasses.
- How earth used to have enough energy to spawn humans out of clay but now it only has enough juice left to make bugs and snails.
- A recipe for scorpions.
- The Tragedy of the Sunday Roast.
- The St. Tuppensday Brouhaha.
- Million Shilling Idea: serving Sunday Roast all week.
- Victorian orphans mining for Bitcoin (or "bittums") out on the Playa.
- Eating a Yorkshire pudding at a Lagrange point and sopping up gravy from the gravy dimension.
- Via Gravia.
- Nega-scurvy, where you eat too much fruit and grow extra teeth.
- The Yes Ship of Theseus.
- That time the Zombies broke up and then had a hit record and then fake Zombies started touring the US until someone from the real band noticed.
- The Caramelldansen saga.