3. The Screaming Man Simulator
November 11th, 2019
51 mins 15 secs
About this Episode
Support Topic Lords on Patreon and get episodes a week early!
- Jay worked on Hypnospace Outlaw. http://www.hypnospace.net/
- James is working on Galapagos. https://triplefox.itch.io/galapagos
- 3:25 James is taking a storytelling class at City College
- 15:49 Propizio Chittara: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9xiOqfkKBM
- 20:12 Library and Production music. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_music
- Prefab FM. https://twitter.com/PrefabFM
- 86 hour Spotify playlist of ~90s Production music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1O7DMdjlJqBeAqGEVVihXD?
- David Vorhaus - My Brain's Full! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI617uJKlg0
- White Noise. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Noise_(band)
- 29:46 Gottlieb "Street Level" Pinball. https://www.retrorefurbs.com/the-history-of-street-level-pinballs/
- Free Gold Watch custom screen printing and pinball and video arcade. http://freegoldwatch.com/newhome/home.html
- Pacific Pinball Museum. https://www.pacificpinball.org/
- Pinside. https://pinside.com/
- 44:10 Jim's new life sleeping like Darth Vader
- Accidentally only booking guests with your same first initial.
- Values systems driving design decisions.
- Taking only the fun classes in college.
- Children as an ideal audience for storytelling.
- A job fair for monsters.
- Black people being friends with metaphors for black people.
- Only wanting to go to school after it's unavailable to you.
- Never going to museums where you live because that's what tourists do.
- Paying to do manual labor to entertain your infant son.
- Insisting on talking to babies even though they don't understand you.
- Not knowing who Arcade Fire is.
- Knowing who Arcade Fire is.
- Spraying guitar samples into the DAW just to fill space.
- Going up to strangers talking in a bar to tell them their conversation is boring.
- Tweeting with as much context resiliency as possible.
- Hearing an instrumental in the 90s and wondering about it for the rest of your life.
- The saddest accordion solo.
- A laughing baby indicating lack of cruelty.
- Library/production music that is just as avant garde as your personal work.
- Corporate contexts appropriating music that was popular 10 years ago.
- When the retro discount kicks in for production music.
- Absorbing your friend's shoegaze album into your video game.
- Reinventing General MIDI for your alternate timeline's soundtrack.
- Picking a name for your combination pinball parlor and print shop.
- The timeline of pinball speed.
- The timeline of pinball interactivity.
- Analog video games frustrating the speed running scene.
- Video game sound effects in the reality that never invented the speaker.
- Switching around the pneumatic tubes on your brother's Call of Duty sound setup.
- Sneaking into an amusement park to play the calliope.
- Calliope MIDI playback as an online service.
- Robotic percussion as an online service.
- Sleep studies are take-home tests now.
- Stopping breathing 25 times per hour.
- Acclimating to your Darth Vader mask.
- Never living to regret your bad decisions.
- Not being sure how to pronounce your own name.