178. The Lathe Of Kojima
March 20th, 2023
1 hr 6 mins 15 secs
About this Episode
- Calculus ruined incremental games for me
- SFF PCs are ridiculous and hilarious
- What's the deal with HDR?
- Ode to Ice Cream by Vada Sultenfuss (from the movie My Girl)
- Metal Gear Solid 2 is the most important game of 2023
- Appropriating wrestling culture.
- Idle games vs. incremental games.
- Physics and calculus educators each pretending the other field doesn't exist.
- Jerk as a unit of measurement.
- Ruining a child's mathematical career by teaching them linear algebra.
- Floating point precision.
- Optimizing the area under the curve.
- What's the jerk of my progress?
- Position, speed, acceleration, jerk, jounce, hyperjerk, metajounce, binge warp, migrational spank, barflurch, dark jaunt, catastrophic snap, whipfuck, and Newton's Torment.
- A real aerodynamic phenomenon.
- Ruining the bench racers.
- The kind of people who form an online community around a game.
- The NGU IDLE speedrunning community.
- Slaying the starting area killing slimes for 90 hours.
- How big 26.8 liters is.
- Rehoming your PC.
- How many shoeboxes your PC case is equivalent to.
- A graphics card that is perpendicular to the motherboard.
- How many parakeets could fit in your PC case using modern parakeet packing algorithms.
- Making a novelty enormous soda can to use as a fake scale comparison in photos.
- Bending your hand at a weird angle.
- The jerk of your PC case.
- Turning the gamma up in order to see a video game.
- Squashed gamuts.
- Adding more bits to describe the color.
- HDMI stratification.
- The colors that future mankind will invent.
- Being unable to use certain hex color triplets because the Pantone license expired.
- When ice cream tastes good.
- Poems written by works in progress.
- B.R.R. (Before Rocky Road)
- Not having seen My Girl but having seen the cover at Blockbuster.
- Growing up in a mortuary.
- Bragging that you know how to play the theme to Jaws on the piano.
- Nick at Nite.
- Playing with Legos with I Love Lucy in the background.
- Timeshared cable channels.
- Nickelodeon's audience being kids and Nick at Nite's audience being the elderly so the channel's average audience is middle-aged.
- The most important game of 2023.
- The core switcheroo.
- Psycho Mantis reading your memory card.
- Playing a really whiny guy who just sucks.
- Whether they've invented pausing cutscenes yet.
- Pausing a 40 minute cutscene to go make pizza rolls.
- AI heel turns.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 beating out Vampire Survivors for most important game of 2022.
- Why Hideo Kojima's dialog sounds like an American 90s movie.
- Political theory outsider art.
- The anti-Noby Noby Boy.
- A discord channel brimming with Lords.