144. Vultures Who Know The Difference (Between Sugar And Aspartame)
July 25th, 2022
1 hr 12 mins 59 secs
About this Episode
Support Topic Lords on Patreon and get episodes a week early!
- We need to bring back Dogme 95
- Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name Again
- This Is Just To Say, by William Carlos Williams
- Whatever happened to outdoor pop machines?
- A Link's Awakening speedrun that may surprise you.
- Lord clouds.
- What's the deal with Wario 64?
- Asking Webster's Dictionary to define Wario 64.
- Your source for video game deals.
- How Wario64 feels about Chris Pratt voicing Mario.
- Geralt in the bathtub.
- Wario World for the GameCube.
- The hidden origins of Wario64.
- Ten rules for how to make a movie.
- Lars von Trier being traumatized by a dolly shot and inventing Dogme 95.
- Unintentional Dogme 95 movies.
- Unboxing a Criterion Collection DVD live on the show and there's just a DVD in there.
- Creative freedom, the worst constraint.
- A recipe for the worst movies in the fucking world.
- Dogme 95 drinking game.
- Making a flag in the bucket.
- The Adventure 2600 continuity.
- Bats that can steal things that shouldn't be able to be stolen.
- A video game quest that was very difficult and obscure until someone wrote a FAQ.
- The ludonarrative consonance of following your self-destructive obsession at the same time your character follows their self-destructive obsession.
- Being confused about a story beat in a video game and having to seek out a lore genius on the internet.
- The Random House Annotated Fallen London.
- Becoming St. Gawain's Candle.
- How the icebox plums poem became a meme.
- Learning about poutine on social media.
- Satirical poetry in the 1960s.
- Things that are Ira Glass's fault.
- Extreme meminess.
- Wanting a god damn plum right now.
- Pictures of normal people that are considered heresy.
- Deliberately making your podcast guest's audio sound bad.
- Continuing to read poetry even though you're terrible at it.
- Asking Siri to get you a substantial raise.
- Checking the change return slots on the mobile phone bank for quarters, to do your part to sustain the soda vending machine economy.
- The cost of a 510 ml bottle of pop these days.
- The fastest pop machine in the world.
- Joking about the day we record the show when it comes out weeks later and none of the listeners have any idea what you're talking about.
- Applying the sugar tax to beverages sweetened with aspartame.
- The Godzilla movie with Inspector Gadget in it.
- Redheaded Stepzilla.
- The three Godzilla movies that are out of print in the US. (But not on archive.org)
- Having to license all the Kaiju separately.
- Movies that are in the public domain because they were not explicitly labeled as copyrighted.
- Public Domain Day.
- The personality traits of Sherlock Holmes that are and aren't copyrighted.
- The Beast at 20,000 Fathoms.
- Messing up a slow-motion shot by undercranking the camera rather than overcranking, but it has to go into the movie like that because it was your only take.
- Making a movie where you can do as many takes as you want but they all have to go in the finished film.
- Godzilla taking some much needed time off.
- Invasion of Astro-Monster.
- Watching the entire Godzilla series and learning why people think Avengers: Endgame is good.
- A latchkey kid in 1960s Japan overcoming his bullies by imagining that Godzilla is his friend.
- A dinosaur falling in love with a lighthouse.
- Empathizing with the dinosaur who is completely misunderstanding the situation.
- Why the English speakers in Japanese or Korean films are such bad actors.
- An island protector of these native people brought to society for reasons of Capitalism.