184. Times New Orange
May 1st, 2023
1 hr 3 mins 8 secs
About this Episode
- The 3-food problem: what 3 foods are pairwise good but bad all together?
- Talking loudly during movie trailers as an act of anticapitalist subversion
- Moon Mode on your phone camera is probably just pasting a good picture of the moon over your bad one.
- The Orange by Wendy Cope
- Learning Italian from a cartoon dog
- Being able to identify McElroy fans by how they complement my woodworking
- RIP List of Video Games Considered Artistic
- kittenm4ster's PICO-8 games.
- Vibing with the Alfonzo's Bowling Challenge ethos.
- A game that is implemented in under 8000 tokens.
- The ideal game pitch.
- Chocolate and cheese and something.
- Chocolate and gravy.
- A lukewarm Americano.
- A bunch of foodies who really know their foodstuffs.
- A fish being strangled by Red Vines.
- A GPU that has food inside of it.
- The Turing test for whether computers can taste foods.
- Asking Chat GPT what three foods you can combine to create a bomb in your kitchen.
- Whether Gallium has calories.
- Three people on a podcast who all think "trailers" should come after the movie
- Finding out about a movie by seeing a trailer in a movie theater even though trailers are constantly spilling out of every screen you own.
- Getting the wiggles out.
- How to make the lives of people who enjoy looking at ads a little bit worse.
- Yelling "fire" before the movie starts so fewer people pay attention to the pre-movie ads.
- Wanting to become the reason all movies have "no leopards in the theater" PSAs now.
- A toddler watching Youtube, yelling "no!" and throwing the phone on the ground when an ad plays.
- Pushing the lever to receive your stochastic reward.
- Youtube deciding you've seen enough ads lately and taking pity on you.
- Trying to explain to a four year old how to play a light gun game but the game is over before you finish explaining.
- The Space Alien Busting Song.
- Drawing new mountains on the moon to test your camera's moon mode.
- Here's the moon again.
- A filter to replace pictures of your wife with the moon.
- A Snapchat filter that makes you feel like you used to be attractive.
- A filter that takes your bad photos of the moon and makes them even worse.
- The worst bunny in the moon.
- A good poem that rhymes.
- Turtle metaconsistency.
- Enormous and hilarious oranges.
- Good art here, you guys.
- Reading poetry in the original Helvetica.
- BorgiaPro on various font downloading sites.
- A cartoon that is entertaining even if you are not learning Italian.
- Finding Armando's old hat in the attic.
- Asking the clouds to move so that your hat can protect you from the sun.
- Working within a constraint that produces delightful nonsense.
- Photocopying yourself to create a black and white clone.
- What drugs they'll give to kids in what countries.
- Growing up but continuing to take the same drugs.
- A little girl who is also a dog.
- Subtitles that don't match what's being said aloud.
- Watching Italian TV using a VPN.
- The Andrew Lloyd Weber musical with the roller skates.
- Roller bladers dancing in weird futuristic costumes.
- Having positive fun experiences with language.
- Learning a new language while skydiving.
- Hiring an experienced skydiver who can give you foreign language lessons while you're both falling from a plane.
- Getting bored while skydiving and looking at your phone but there's no WiFi up there.
- How McElroy fans compliment someone's woodworking.
- How to Fake an Interest in Woodworking.
- Arguing about whether games are art.
- All the games that anyone's ever called art.
- Finding information about a deleted page on Wikipedia.
- Philosophical debate on the creative qualia of electronic structured play. (Roger Ebert has a subheading.)
- Whether the List of Zombie Video Games on Wikipedia includes philosophical zombies.
- Whether the List of Zombie Video Games on Wikipedia includes voodoo zombies.
- What Casinos are trying to do to attract kids who like video games.
- Whether Lechuck is a voodoo zombie or a Romero zombie.
- Finding a bunch of snakes that each have different names.
- What happens when you collect all the things. (Art.)
- List of Paintings Considered Artistic.
- Gimmick food that is more about the experience of eating a weird thing than the food itself.
- A restaurant that doesn't have plates and just pours the food into your cupped hands.