1. The Shoulderblade Is A Girl
October 28th, 2019
59 mins 18 secs
About this Episode
Support Topic Lords on Patreon and get episodes a week early!
- Jenni does stuff at http://www.jennipolodna.com/
- Jay worked on Hypnospace Outlaw. http://www.hypnospace.net/
- 0:38 Jay is frustrated that he learned to play the ukulele rather than any other fretted instrument.
- (I actually meant Super Mario Bros. 3 world 1. Here are the chords: 000x 0000 0002 0000 000x 0000 0002, then barre up to 222x, etc.)
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow ukulele cover by Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I
- 11:16 Jenni attended a Stripper Karaoke performance. https://www.devilspointbar.com/stripparaoke
- A dial tone is 350hz and 440hz, very close to F4 and A4.
- 19:26 Jim discovers how to make spaghetti edible.
- The only evidence I could find that Japanese alphabet soup might exist: https://i.imgur.com/tDWu43P.png
- 22:44 There are no yeasty donuts in Germany, only cake donuts.
- London cab drivers need to memorize the entire city: https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/10/21/450235327/londons-cabbies-say-the-knowledge-is-better-than-uber-and-a-gps
- 31:02 Jenni discovers how to make chicken wings edible
- Pad thai was standardized by the Thailand government as the official Thai dish for westerners: https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/food-drink/article/3007657/history-pad-thai-how-stir-fried-noodle-dish-was-invented-thai
- 45:43 Jim talks about fixing a wet phone
- TekDry possibly saved my phone: https://www.tekdry.com/
- 49:02 Jenni figures out how many peppers is too many peppers, but the jury is still out on how many is just enough.
- The old process for measuring scoville was to dilute it until testers said "this isn't hot" and then report the dilutedness. Now they use science. https://www.thespruceeats.com/hot-chile-peppers-scoville-scale-1807552
- Not remembering the name of your own show.
- Cursing oneself by learning the wrong skill.
- Looking like a huge lumberjack playing a tiny instrument.
- Enjoying music wrong.
- Never asking for advice because you know people will tell you it's a bad idea.
- The mythical non-portable ukulele.
- Confusing Prog Rock and Prague Rock.
- Punting a conversation to later because you can't brain right now.
- Off-season Cirque du Soleil performers normalizing strip club culture.
- Having just the right stripping outfit for someone's karaoke choice.
- Why singing for the Rock Band high score doesn't sound like good singing.
- Waking up your partner to join your loud video game.
- Calling your partner to ask to make a dial tone together.
- Everyone agreeing on the worst pasta shape.
- Getting into a spaghetti situation.
- Inventing short spaghetti.
- Earning your satiation with the gamer's pasta.
- Soup screaming at you if it doesn't like you.
- Figuring out how to type during a podcast.
- Donuts being slightly shiny to fool you.
- Germans presenting Americans with fake donuts to collect their tears.
- Swimming the English Channel in hopes that they have real donuts there.
- Memorizing every street in London because cab drivers aren't allowed to use Mapquest.
- Not feeling like any more of a monster than usual.
- Eating a taco above another taco to grow its powers.
- Taco Bell provocateurs rewriting history.
- Going to a sushi restaurant when you don't like fish.
- Insisting your wife only speak to you in German.
- Not learning the local language because watching Netflix is easier.
- Impressing people by setting the bar extremely low.
- Being the only adult at the kid's table.
- Dropping your phone in a freshwater vs. a saltwater toilet.
- Using magical beams to get the water out.
- Apologizing for your router.
- The clerk knowing you eat Hot Cheetos just by looking at you.
- Shaming customers into ordering the mild.
- Moving to a country where everyone else is as spice-intolerant as you are.
- Confusing being spicy and being spicy.
- Tactically voting each other off the podcast.